Snapchat is one of the most popular social media apps in the world. Every second, around 8,800 photos are shared on the platform by more than 493 million Snapchat users. And new filters, games or features are added every day to keep people coming back to the app again and again.
Looking to take a break from Snapchat or even delete your account permanently? In this article, we have a step-by-step guide to do it. It only takes a few minutes!
Before You Begin: Download and Backup Your Snapchat Data
Although you are willing to delete Snapchat app, it may be good to keep the old photos or videos you have saved in Memories. Then you might want to remember your graduation day or that summer trip to the beach if you didn’t keep the media somewhere else.
In order to download and backup your Snapchat data, you will need a verified email address where your data can be sent.
How to download Snapchat data via PC
Downloading your Snapchat data to your laptop or PC is the easiest and fastest option. Just follow these steps:
- Visit accounts.snapchat.com in your browser.
- Log in with your personal account.
4. Under “Manage My Account,” click “My Data.”
- At the bottom of the page, enter and confirm your email address.
- Click “Submit Request.”
- You will now receive a download link on the email address that you’ve submitted and verified.
- Use the link to download your Snapchat data. This will be a ZIP file called “My Data.”
You should now be able to back up your data and save it wherever you want.
How to download Snapchat data on Android and iOS
If you want to download your Snapchat directly from the app onto your phone, these are the steps you should follow:
- Open the app and go to “Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap “My Data.”
- You will see an overview of the data Snapchat is able to send to you.
- Scroll down and click “Submit Request.”
- Open your email and click the link you’ve been sent.
- You will need to log into your Snapchat account via a mobile web browser (not the app itself) to be able to continue.
- Once you’re logged in, you can download the ZIP file that holds your data.
If your mobile device has the storage and space needed to save the file, and the software to open ZIPs, you can download it there. Otherwise, you could still download it elsewhere.
How to Deleting Snapchat Account Permanently
Unfortunately, there is no direct way to delete a Snapchat account without going through a 30-day deactivation period first. While there were ways around this in the past, nowadays you simply have to refrain from logging in and using Snapchat for that 30-day window before your data is wiped from their servers.
You also won’t be able to permanently delete your account directly from the Snapchat app itself. Instead, you have to go through the browser portal. Depending on whether you use Android or iOS for the app, the deletion process is slightly different. But either way, it’s fast and easy. We’ll walk you through it.
How to delete Snapchat on Android or web
No matter what device you use the app with primarily, the easiest way to delete your Snapchat account is via web browser on a laptop or other PC. You can’t actually delete your account via the Android app. Keep in mind that Snapchat may use two-step verification for the login process.
Here’s what you do:
- Go to accounts.snapchat.com in your browser.
- Log in with your personal account.
- Scroll down on the “Manage My Account” page until you see “Delete My Account.”
- Click “Delete My Account” to permanently delete Snapchat.
- Enter your username and password to confirm, and click “Continue.”
The 30-day deactivation period has now started. Just make sure you don’t log back into your account. A little over four weeks later, your account will be permanently deleted.
How to delete Snapchat on iOS
You can also permanently delete Snapchat from your iPhone or iPad via the app itself. These are the steps to follow:
- Open the app on your phone. Go to “Settings.”
- Scroll down to the Support section and click on “I Need Help.”
- Go to the “What can we help you with?” bar and enter the word “Delete.”
- Click “Log in to delete your account.”
- On the “Delete Account” page, enter your username and password.
- Click “Continue.”
You are now in the 30-day waiting period. If you refrain from logging back into your account, your Snapchat will be permanently deleted after 30 days.
Will my Snapchat info really be gone forever?
Snapchat claims that they hold onto certain data, even after your account is permanently deleted. This includes information about the accepted terms of service and any in-app purchases you’ve made. This is done for legal reasons.
All other data — your account settings, Snapchat friends, chats, stories, location — will be deleted permanently.
If you want to make sure your information is removed permanently, we recommend sending an email to [email protected] after you’ve deleted your account to request whatever data they still hold on you.